Similarities

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM by Kent Lenci

What similarities do you see between the Afghan illustrations and those from Brookwood? In other words, what do we share in common?

This post was edited on: 2012-02-02 at 04:12 PM by: klenci (Moderator)

14 Replies

SarahM-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM

A similarity I noticed was that we both chose to use words. "A picture is worth a thousand words" didn't seem to work here. We seemed to need language to communicate our world. Though the picture was important, I thought it was interesting that we both chose words with them.

EmilyW-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I thought it was cool how we both ahd images of Disney. Ours was of magic Kingdom, and their's was of Minnie Mouse.angelic

Alex Emerson
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

SarahM-BWD7 wrote:

We seemed to need language to communicate our world. Though the picture was important, I thought it was interesting that we both chose words with them.

I would agree with that. I found that the Afghan illustrations tended to have more words, though. (Although that was probably because we didn't know whether or not they could speak English...) I wonder if that is because they knew that they could communicate through language.
I think that if we knew that we could write in English we would have written more, too.

PennieG-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

A similarity that I found, and so did others, was that a lot of drawings had some sort of link to peace. In the drawings from the school in Afghanistan, the kids were wishing for peace. In our drawings from Brookwood, peace signs were frequently incorporated into our artwork. I do not think that we, the students, all meant the same thing by using peace signs, but I do think that it is cool to have something like this in common.smile

NoelS-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I thought there was a lot of stuff that we had in common that we didn't think we did-- like drawing and minnie mouse

SeanW-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

One of the similarities that I noticed was that both a Brookwood illustration and an Afghan illustration had Disney in them. I found it interesting that even though we live at different parts of the world, big companies like Disney are part of our life.

SeanW-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Ya that was very interesting.cool

HannahG-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

angelicSean, I found that interesting too. How do they know about Minnie Mouse? TV? Movies? I also saw that most of the drawings had light colors on them and they were very light and happy. :-

EmilyP-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I thought it was really cool that in both the afghan drawings and the brookwood drawing there where peace signs/something that had to do with peace. For some reason i really wan't anticipating that. I also saw grass in the afghan pictures. When i think of afghanistan i think of dirt and dust, and i never thought that there was grass. But because of those drawings, i now know afghanistan is a lot different then i imagined!cool

WillC-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hey guys! I wanted to bring the attention to the Peace in the artwork. I found that the word peace showed up in at least five pictures for both the Afghan students and the Brookwood students.

In class, we talked about how the word peace could mean different things. For us, it could mean something like: "Hey! peace, love and sailing!" but I feel like the afghan students use the word more literally than us.cool

LiaS-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

One similarity that I found was that they all had outdoorsy stuff in their drawings like us, even if ours was of sports and their's was of working. smile

LiddyD-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Yeah, I agree with that. I think that the Afghan students actually want peace and civilization in their country, where as we just say it as an expression, etc.

Kent Lenci
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Regarding the peace comments-- I wonder why, if Afghans seek peace, they don't have it. What gets in the way?

AnnaM-BWD7
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think that their peace means something different to them than it does to us. Most people we know personally like peace because of the sign, but the people in Afganistan really want peace.